TechnoServe seeks a highly organized, detail-oriented individual to perform program development functions for the Nigeria Country office. S/he will lead and support the development of new business and design of new programs that will result in increased revenue and increased impact in TechnoServe as well as provide technical assistance for project implementation, documentation and timely reporting in a result based manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specifically, the Program Development Manager will take the lead for:
Program Development: In support of the Country Director and program managers, the position is responsible for identifying funding opportunities; developing, leading and strengthening fundraising strategies and tactics; and responding to major contract/grant opportunities, from bi-lateral, multi-lateral agencies, national governments, private foundations, and the private sector. This will include:
Working with the Country Director to champion the design and implementation of comprehensive fundraising strategies and annual plans with specific targets
- Primarily support but occasionally lead strong TechnoServe relationships with potential donors, stakeholders, and partners
- Leading and/or supporting opportunity assessments in selected new country priority/areas of excellence
- Developing winning proposals in collaboration with local teams and TNS regional and/or development divisions
- In coordination with the relevant staff of the project team and program development division, liaising with public sector funding agencies, institutional foundations, corporations, and other private donors to acquire and maintain an in-depth knowledge about their mission, organization, policies, procedures and key decision-makers
- Managing the proposal writing processes of key opportunities with public/private funding, at the country level
- Coordinating the review and maintenance of project lead summaries, the new business pipeline, the new business resource prioritization matrix, new business opportunity assessments and other requirements of the new business process.
Program Management: Supporting the formulation of project strategies and work plans. In particular::
- Support project implementation and monitoring focusing on the achievement of the project results:
- Ensure high-quality start-up of confirmed new programs: In the case of programs which have been confirmed but where there is no on-the-ground capacity to ensure a successful transition from the proposal phase to project implementation, the Program Development Manager will work with the Deputy Country Director and country teams to ensure high-quality program start-up, potentially engaging as a Mobilization Manager in the program start-up phase.
- Assist the Project Technical Team in the implementation of relevant components as well as monitor activities relating to TechnoServe Nigeria projects
- Coordinate the timely submission of technical reports by projects and assist with the preparation of charts, graphs, and periodic progress/technical reports.
- Support and facilitate knowledge sharing fora, training projects that may be conducted by the team’s technical experts or outsourced as the case may be:
- Working with the project teams, assist with the synthesis of lessons learned and creating a database on the same and best practices across projects.
- Other duties as required by the Supervisors
Reporting Line: Reporting to the Country Director, TechnoServe Nigeria, this role will seat at TechnoServe’s Abuja office with few or minimal travels.
Contributes to the achievement of annual revenue targets for the TNS Nigeria country programs and the growth of TechnoServe’s footprint in the country; responsible, along with the TNS team, for improving the quality and impact of TechnoServe’s fundraising efforts. Deliverables will include:
- Opportunity assessments (including donor scans, industry scans, proposal due diligence, mini-ISPs)
- Strengthened relationships with public and private donors
- Winning proposals
- Capacitated local staff to win new business
Knowledge and Expertise
- Proven track record in successful business and program development design, experience in the management consulting industry complemented by broad technical skills in one or more of the following areas: SME development, agribusiness, and industry development
- Extensive experience in designing, developing, researching and authoring quality and winning proposals
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills in a culturally dynamic environment
- The ability to work on short-term assignments with tight deadlines while managing multiple tasks and projects
- The ability to work independently, and function effectively as a member of a team, and adhere to strict deadlines
- Interactive skills especially with field staff, technical staff, consultants and home office support staff as necessary to complete proposals
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- Related work experience and deep knowledge of Nigerian economic, social and development context
- Masters level degree in business administration, economics, marketing or related discipline.
- At least 3 years of post-graduate experience in analytical and strategic roles within the private sector and/or development spheres (ideally with a top-tier management consulting firm)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital, and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs, and wealth for their families and communities. With 50 years of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives
Work Location: Abuja with minimal travels
We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants. Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. No phone calls, please.
TechnoServe encourages diversity at all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability, and all other protected classes.
TechnoServe is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in all facets of employment, including the employment application and selection process. If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org