We’re looking for Local Community Trainers (Kano, Kaduna, Katsina, Jigawa and Plateau Nigeria)
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital, and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs, and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
About the Project: YieldWise Nigeria project is a three-year (2017-2020) livelihood project which targets 50 percent post-harvest loss reduction and 50 percent income increase for 35,000 smallholder tomato farmers across Kano, Jigawa, Katsina, Kaduna and Plateau states, by addressing the root causes of post-harvest losses across the tomato value chain.
Primary Purpose: The Local Community Trainer (LCT) will be expected to participate in enrollment or validation of tomato farmers, farmer training, follow-up farm visits, electronic data collection and reporting, organization of input and produce aggregation activities, on the YieldWise project. The successful candidate(s) will work under the supervision and guidance of the Business Advisor. It should be understood that the tasks outlined below are the key responsibilities, but the LCT is expected to perform any tasks that are necessary within the context of the evolving needs of the program.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Familiarize themselves with data collection tools.
- Familiarize themselves with community of intervention.
- Enroll or validate participating smallholder farmers
- Effectively conduct farmer training in a timely manner
- Collect data and measure information on variables of interest in line with the data collection tool
- Participate in a pre-season training of trainers’ program
- Participate in monthly briefing on key achievements, challenges and proffer solutions
- Provide timely response on data query for clarification and be willing to redo if required.
- Provide reliable, accurate, valid and relevant data relating to the subject matter (data is free of bias and not subjective).
- Comply with TechnoServe policies and practice with respect to code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedure
- Formulate recommendations and solutions for project activities
- Strict adherence to timeframe of assignments in project life-scope
- Any other tasks that may be assigned.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Experience in data collection
- Experience in working with an INGO is an added advantage
- Experience in using the digital data collection tools
- Excellent communication and influencing skills (Fluency in Hausa and English)
- Experience in working with community members of diverse background
- Excellent analytical and strategy skills
- Experience with relevant software packages, including Microsoft Excel;
- Self-starter, energetic, and friendly
- Comfortable with new ways of thinking and working
- Engages people and empowers them to deliver on promises
- Maintains integrity and personal reputation
- Ability to analyze complex issues and propose solutions
- Reviews information quickly and does not hesitate to try out solutions
- Passionate about knowledge learning and sharing.
We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants. Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. No phone calls, please.
TechnoServe encourages diversity at all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability, and all other protected classes.
TechnoServe is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in all facets of employment, including the employment application and selection process. If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact Human Resources Department at email@example.com
Interested and qualified candidates should apply latest by Thursday 14th May, 2020, indicating their preferred location.