Words have gone about about hike in electricity tariff but on Tuesday, Minister of State for Labour and Employment Festus Keyamo condemned the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC alleged ‘s rise in electricity tariffs.
Keyamo, who appeared on Channels TV Politics Today, said he is the chairman of the Federal Government and Labour side sub-committee that was appointed to go around the country to meet and consult with stakeholders and discos to find an appropriate and cost-reflective tariff that Nigerians can pay.
He said that the sub-committee was still in the process of carrying out its mission and had not completed it, adding that there had been no tariff increases.
According to him, what was decided was to freeze some bands, since there are bands A, B, C, D, and so on, adding that what was done in the meantime was to change some bands to ensure that any people who were supposed to be on some bands were not mistakenly placed on any other bands.
He clarified that what had just been achieved was the modification of some bands, but that tariffs had not risen.
When Keyamo heard it, he immediately called for a meeting on this matter and said that what had been published by NERC did not represent what had been decided at the committee level.
He said he was not consulted and that the committee members also said they were not consulted. The minister said the committee was trying to schedule a meeting for Thursday to find out exactly what happened and take it from there. He told Nigerians that the committee would soon come out with a statement to demonstrate the true position of things before Nigerians.